Minecraft: Dungeons is a approachable ARPG with procedural levels and loot. Oliver is currently working at Radical Forge who have partnered with Double 11 to bring the next unannounced DLC to players.
• Design levels and missions that reach a high quality bar.
• Make missions "surprise and delight" not once but many times.
• Support Double 11's team in design thinking and technical skills.
• Experience scripting levels and missions with a bespoke set of tools.
• Understanding how to build and improve on others designs.
• Opportunity to support and nourish junior talent.
Sniper Elite VR.
Oliver was a Game Designer on a new Sniper Elite title for VR platforms at Just Add Water Developments Ltd.
Responsibilities include - Level Design, Mission Design and Documentation.
• Design high-quality missions for FPS VR that also stay true to the Sniper Elite franchise.
• Implement missions and levels utilizing strong collaboration with other departments.
• Deliver missions levels and documentation consistently on time.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships.
• Practical knowledge of mission design concepts and practical implementation; including gameplay scripting using proprietary tools.
• Hands-on whiteboxing and implantation skills; taking levels from initial design to playable environments.
E3 2019 Awards
Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2019 - Best VR / AR Game Nominee
’Best PlayStation VR Shooter’ by Official PlayStation Magazine UK
Sniping has never been better with Zombie Army 4 and Sniper Elite VR
Sniper Elite VR "has to be the best sniping experience in VR"
Sniper Elite VR Preview: Shooting Nazis has never felt so good
BBC - Rebellion's Sniper Elite VR game previewed
Game Jam Gallery
Oliver has taken part in many game jams over the years. He loves the collaborative atmosphere and the effort to produce playable games. below are some of his favourites.
A twin stick co-op endless arcade game about a two nodes connected by a lethal electrified beam of energy.
• Design a tutorial that explains the gameplay without text.
• Create “wow” moments that reward and Inspire cooperative play.
• Advantages of creating co-op arcade experiences vs single player.
• Learning what features to prioritize during a short development cycle.
• Studio Gobo Game Gig hosted by Teesside university grand prize winner.
• Exhibited at EGX Rezzed 2018 by Teesside university.
Programming - Henry Bell
Art - Cameron Dean
Design and UI - Oliver William Walker
Not From Round 'Ere!
A deduction game focused around Yorkshire culture and colloquialisms.
• Make a game that truly embodies the theme of Yorkshire, rather than a surface level use of the theme.
• Scope the design correctly to be completed within the game jam time frame.
• Leading and communicating the design to a small team of diverse disciplines and skills.
• Learnt about UI design and flow in a complete game experience.
Oliver Walker is a experienced designer with creative flair and undying passion. Oliver's specialist skills include level design, mission design and prototyping. Currently Oliver is working full time as a game designer at Radical Forge. and was previously a game designer at Just Add Water Developments Ltd. When not designing games he can often be found playing Dungeons and Dragons, reading GamesIndustry.biz, watching game studio documentaries or having conversations with people he cares about. Oliver has been making video-games for seven years and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon!
Talks and More
Over the years Oliver has given a number of talks and other activities with the intent to inspire and inform students and peers.
NFTS Game Development Masters Project - review and guidance
Motivation, Good Habits and How to Learn - LevelUp Live Panel
How Game Design Can Tell a Story - The Student Art Podcast
A Game Devs Journey - Side Quest: Conference Talk - Slides
Stafford College Global Game Jam - Mentoring and Participant
Manchester Gamers Unite Nov 2019 - Showcase and Interview
Level Design 101 - EGX 2019 Talk - Slides
Oliver Walker Level Design Tips - Level Design Lobby Podcast
Unraveling Undertale - GamesIndustry.Biz Article
Your first 6 Months in the Games Industry - EGX Rezzed Talk - Slides
A beginning in game dev and life with bipolar - CoachingForGeeks Podcast
Disabilities in the games industry - EGX Fringe Theatre 2018
There are some projects that Oliver has worked on that he loves too much to leave off his website. Bellow is a little bonus collection of games that are close to his heart.
© OliverWilliamWalker. All rights reserved.