Game Design & Development
Sniper Elite title for VR.
Game and level designer on a new Sniper Elite title for VR at JAW Ltd.
A twin stick shooter about a red and a blue jet of fire destroying waves of opponents.
• Explosive “game feel” and “Juice.”
• Unique gameplay built around two analogue sticks.
• Pick up and play arcade gameplay.
• Designing effective game loops.
• Dealing with depth vs. complexity.
• Designing for accessibility.
Babel: Tower to the Gods
Babel is a charming physics based puzzle VR game. On this project I was responsible for level formatting and design, QA and general game design.
• Design and curate engaging VR puzzles.
• Create puzzles of the correct difficulty throughout the game.
• Design content that was cohesive with work of other designers.
• Designing effectively in VR space.
• Understanding and building on another designers work.
• Understanding source control and studio mind-set.
A twin stick co-op endless arcade game about a two nodes connected by a lethal electrified beam of energy.
• Design a tutorial that explains the gameplay without text.
• Create “wow” moments that reward and Inspire cooperative play.
• Design around the theme of “electricity.”
• Collaboration between a small team of artists and programmers.
• Advantages of creating co-op arcade experiences vs single player.
• Learning what features to prioritize during a short development cycle.
• Studio Gobo Game Gig hosted by Teesside university grand prize winner.
• Exhibited at EGX Rezzed 2018 by Teesside university.
Programming - Henry Bell
Art - Cameron Dean
Design and UI - Oliver William Walker
A reaction hyper-casual game with a minimalist typographical art style.
• Dynamically evolving difficulty while maintaining the core gameplay.
• Design that fits the hyper-casual mobile model.
• Correctly scope the project to be completed within a month.
• Practical knowledge of weekly playtesting and rapid iteration based on feedback.
• Design by minimalism.
• Experience working with audio specialists and implementing dynamic audio.
Design, Code and UI - Oliver William Walker
Audio - Chloe Kwok
Game Jam Gallery
Oliver has taken part in many game jams over the years, below are some of his favourites.
A fast-paced minimalist FPS with a twist!
• Create a game with around the theme "Transmission".
• Create an accessible "pick up and play" experience.
• Using genre conventions to create a simple quick tutorial for players.
• Develop an understand design by abstraction.
A psychedelic bizarre action game about a flying skull who shoots lasers.
• Create compelling aerial combat.
• Explore a bizarre aesthetic and unique gameplay experience.
• Conveying a control scheme quickly.
• Capturing a unique game tone.
Not From Round 'Ere!
A deduction game focused around Yorkshire culture and colloquialisms.
• Make a game that truly embodies the theme of Yorkshire, rather than a surface level use of the theme.
• Scope the design correctly to be completed within the game jam time frame.
• Leading and communicating the design to a small team of diverse disciplines and skills.
• Learnt about UI design and flow in a complete game experience.
Oliver Walker is a multidisciplinary designer with creative flair and undying passion. Currently Oliver is working full time as a game designer at JAW Ltd. When not designing games he can often be found playing Dungeons and dragons, watching 80’s movies or watching something on the GDC Vault. Oliver has been making video-games for six years and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon!
Talks and More
Over the years Oliver has given a number of talks and other activities with the intent to inspire and inform students and peers.
Disabilities in the games industry - EGX Fringe Theatre 2018
A beginning in game dev and life with bipolar - CoachingForGeeks Podcast
Your first 6 Months in the Games Industry - Teesside University Talk
Your first 6 Months in the Games Industry - EGX Rezzed GI.Biz Career Fair Talk
CfG’s Games of EGX Rezzed 2019 - Guest Award
Unraveling Undertale - GamesIndustry.Biz Article
Journeyman 2019 Judging Panel
Have a question? Need a designer? Want a speaker at your event?
© OliverWilliamWalker. All rights reserved.