Game Design & Development
Sniper Elite title for VR.
Oliver is a Game Designer on a new Sniper Elite title for VR platforms at Just Add Water Developments Ltd.
Responsibilities include - Level Design, Mission Design and Documentation.
• Design high-quality missions and levels that stay true to the Sniper Elite franchise.
• Implement missions and levels utilizing strong collaboration with other departments.
• Deliver missions levels and documentation consistently on time.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships.
• Practical knowledge of mission design concepts and practical implementation; including gameplay scripting using proprietary tools.
• Hands-on whiteboxing and implantation skills; taking levels from initial design to playable environments.
E3 2019 Awards
Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2019 - Best VR / AR Game Nominee
’Best PlayStation VR Shooter’ by Official PlayStation Magazine UK
Sniping has never been better with Zombie Army 4 and Sniper Elite VR
Sniper Elite VR "has to be the best sniping experience in VR"
Sniper Elite VR Preview: Shooting Nazis has never felt so good
BBC - Rebellion's Sniper Elite VR game previewed
Babel: Tower to the Gods
Babel is a charming physics based puzzle VR game. On this project Oliver was responsible for level design and formatting , QA and general game design.
• Design and curate engaging VR puzzles.
• Create puzzles of the correct difficulty throughout the game.
• Design content that was cohesive with work of other designers.
• Designing effectively in VR space.
• Understanding and building on another designers work.
• Understanding source control and studio mind-set.
Game Jam Gallery
Oliver has taken part in many game jams over the years. He loves the collaborative atmosphere and the effort to produce playable games. below are some of his favourites.
A twin stick co-op endless arcade game about a two nodes connected by a lethal electrified beam of energy.
• Design a tutorial that explains the gameplay without text.
• Create “wow” moments that reward and Inspire cooperative play.
• Advantages of creating co-op arcade experiences vs single player.
• Learning what features to prioritize during a short development cycle.
• Studio Gobo Game Gig hosted by Teesside university grand prize winner.
• Exhibited at EGX Rezzed 2018 by Teesside university.
Programming - Henry Bell
Art - Cameron Dean
Design and UI - Oliver William Walker
Not From Round 'Ere!
A deduction game focused around Yorkshire culture and colloquialisms.
• Make a game that truly embodies the theme of Yorkshire, rather than a surface level use of the theme.
• Scope the design correctly to be completed within the game jam time frame.
• Leading and communicating the design to a small team of diverse disciplines and skills.
• Learnt about UI design and flow in a complete game experience.
Level and Mission Design
Outside of work Oliver likes to complete level design assignments to sharpen skills in level / mission design, whiteboxing and documentation. Below is his most recent level and mission design assignment.
“The Super Kawaii Shiba Show!”
• Design a compelling original FPS VR level and mission.
• Demonstrate effective workflow, strategic use of space, and tactical use of game mechanics.
• Use level theme to inform enemy design.
• Execution of documentation best practices, to assist with implementation and communication of the level and mission.
• Rapid whiteboxing and in engine implementation.
• Design in a visually appealing format while also containing concise design information.
Oliver Walker is a skilled designer with creative flair and undying passion. Oliver's specialist skills include level design, mission design and prototyping. Currently Oliver is working full time as a game designer at Just Add Water Developments Ltd. and was previously a game designer at Radical Forge. When not designing games he can often be found playing Dungeons and Dragons, reading gamesindustry.biz, watching game studio documentaries or having conversations with people he cares about. Oliver has been making video-games for seven years and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon!
Talks and More
Over the years Oliver has given a number of talks and other activities with the intent to inspire and inform students and peers.
Disabilities in the games industry - EGX Fringe Theatre 2018
A beginning in game dev and life with bipolar - CoachingForGeeks Podcast
Your first 6 Months in the Games Industry - Teesside University Talk - Slides
Your first 6 Months in the Games Industry - EGX Rezzed GI.Biz Career Fair Talk - Slides
CfG’s Games of EGX Rezzed 2019 - Guest Award
Unraveling Undertale - GamesIndustry.Biz Article
Journeyman 2019 Judging Panel - Teesside University
Oliver Walker Level Design Tips - Level Design Lobby Podcast
Level Design 101 - EGX 2019 Talk - Slides
Manchester Gamers Unite Nov 2019 - Showcase and Interview
Teesside University Group Work Talk - Slides
Stafford College Global Game Jam - Mentoring and Participant
There are some projects that Oliver has worked on that he loves too much to leave off his website. Bellow is a little bonus collection of games that are close to his heart.
Have a question? Need a designer? Want a speaker at your event?
© OliverWilliamWalker. All rights reserved.